What is the Unique Student Identifier?
The Unique Student Identifier (USI) is part of a 2015 Commonwealth Government initiative to help you keep track of your complete record of training results and qualifications. Watch the video below for more information.
Why you need a USI
All students studying nationally recognised qualifications are required to register for a USI before enrolment with a registered training organisation anywhere in Australia.
Having a USI means you’ll be able to access your complete training records, no matter where you have studied, in one convenient place, whenever you need them. You will be able to do this online from your computer, tablet or smart phone.
Whether you are enrolling for the first time or re-enrolling, you must supply your Unique Student Identifier (USI) to your training organisation.
So, if you are planning to enrol, or re-enrol in a TAFE Digital course, it’s important that you create your USI as soon as possible so that your enrolment can be processed.
How to get your USI
You can get your Unique Student Identifier (USI) through the Commonwealth Government Department of Industry webpage.
When you create your USI you will need to provide Proof of Identity, so make sure you have one of the following documents with you:
- Driver’s Licence
- Medicare Card
- Australian Passport
- Visa (with Non-Australian Passport) for International Students
- Birth Certificate (Australian) *please note a Birth Certificate extract is not sufficient
- Certificate of Registration by Descent
- Citizenship Certificate
Once you have logged in, follow the simple step by step process to create your USI. Make sure you keep a record of your USI and remember your password for future reference.
So, you have your USI, what’s next?
You need to allow TAFE Digital to access your records so that your enrolment can be processed and your results can be updated on your records – which will help when you’re job hunting or seeking credit transfers or recognition for prior learning (RPL) in the future.
To give TAFE Digital access to your training records follow these steps:
- Return to the Commonwealth Government Department of Industry webpage.
- Click on Student Login, agree to terms and conditions and click next.
- Enter your USI and password on the right to log in.
- This will take you to where you can update which registered training organisations have permission to access your training record:
- If this is the first time you are giving permission, click on ‘Add organisation’
- If you have already given permission to another training organisation, click on ‘Update’
- Type ‘90010’ into the Organisation Code box and ‘Search’ to bring up our details (North Coast TAFE is the Registered Training Organisation which operates TAFE Digital and all training qualifications are issued by North Coast TAFE)
- Click on ‘Add’ (next to ABN).
- Under the Permissions heading, you must choose an expiry date; to do this click the select button and select an option (3 months, 6 months, 1, 2 or 5 years). You are free to select any option - we recommend selecting a longer period rather than a shorter one.
- Make sure the ‘view and update my records’ box is checked, then click on ‘Save’.
- This will take you back to your list of permissions.
- Confirm that North Coast TAFE is added to your list and log out.